Greer Spring and Trail has a nine-tenths mile trail that descends to the second largest spring in Missouri. Homesteaded by Thomas Simpson in 1845.
Samuel Greer and his father purchased 40 acres in 1859, and had a mill operating in the gorge by 1860. While the younger Greer was serving with the Confederate troops, other Confederates burned the family mill. The mill was rebuilt after the war, and expanded in 1870. Because of the steep grade, oxen were trained to haul grain up and down the hill without a driver! Increasing demand for milling, but no room for further expansion forced Greer to rebuild his mill 3/4 mile away, atop the ridge, and convey power by a series of cables. Around 1900, Greer (then called Big Ozark) was thought to be the largest spring in the state. Milling ceased in 1920. Property was owned and used as a family retreat by Louis Dennig family, 1922-1988. After efforts to establish a water bottling plant, property was sold to U.S. Forest Service in 1993. The spring is accessed only by hiking a .9 mile trail from a trailhead sign on Missouri Hwy 19.

Greer Spring and Trail